Our Lady of Providence High School, Clarksville, Indiana
Our Lady of Providence is an inter-parochial, co-educational school located in Clark County, Indiana, near metropolitan Louisville, serving southern Indiana. The school is operated by the New Albany Deanery, under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. At the request of Most Reverend Paul C. Schulte, Archbishop of Indianapolis, the school was built, owned and operated by the Sisters of Providence.
The first freshmen, 137 students from 11 parishes in Clark, Floyd and Harrison counties, entered on Sept. 12, 1951. Within a decade, the student population exceeded 800. In 1973, there were 18 parishes of the New Albany Deanery that purchased the school from the sisters. Providence Junior High was created in 1989 to accommodate Deanery parishes without elementary schools and/or without grades seven and eight. In 1995, the president-principal model was enacted and Gerald K. Wilkinson, ’58, became the first president of Providence. By 1996, the Our Lady of Providence Junior-Senior High Board of Directors assumed the governance previously held by the Deanery Board. In 2006, the Board of Directors became a Board of Trustees.