Introducing Providence Community Cemetery
Many of you – friends, family, alums, staff and other supporters – have described Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as a peaceful, holy place. You have cherished relationships with the Sisters of Providence and the Woods. Because of this, the Congregation has been asked about the possibility of having loved ones buried on these sacred grounds.
Our new outreach ministry celebrates these significant relationships with the SPs. We also hope to help you honor your loved ones during a difficult time. It is now possible for people with a special connection to the Congregation to have cremains inurned at the new Providence Community Cemetery columbarium at the Woods.
You and your loved ones can have cremains inurned in a naturally beautiful, serene environment that will encourage visitors and families to return time and again to pay their respects.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Providence Community Cemetery:
- Who can be inurned at the Woods? Those with a strong connection to the Sisters of Providence Congregation will be considered, such as Providence Associates, family members of sisters, former members of the Congregation, members of St. Mary’s Village Church, alumnae/i of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and of other schools where SPs taught, our partners in mission (e.g., co-workers, volunteers) and persons in need. Spouses may also be inurned. The General Council and/or their delegated representatives will make the final decision.
- Where will the cremains be placed? The cremains will be placed in an urn and laid to rest in a niche of a specially designed columbarium located in the new Providence Community Cemetery, in the southwest area of the motherhouse grounds, near the Congregation cemetery.
- What is a columbarium? A columbarium is a series of niches on one side for the inurnment of the cremains of a loved one and provides a place of remembrance for families. The columbarium is placed in a columbarium wall.
- What will be provided, if I choose to be inurned at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods? Providence Community Cemetery will provide a small, open-sided chapel for mourners to gather. To preserve uniformity, an appropriate urn for the cremains, a columbarium space (niche), the urn and the niche nameplate and engraving will also be included. Only single urns and niches will be sold and the commingling of cremains will not be allowed.
- May I choose the location of the niche? Yes, you or a loved one will select the niche you desire in the columbarium space currently available.
- Will visitors have access to Providence Community Cemetery columbarium? Absolutely.
- Will the Sisters of Providence ensure the ongoing care of the columbarium? The Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods will make provisions to care for the columbarium, the cremains inurned, the urns, and the niche nameplates in perpetuity.
What is the cost and when is payment due?
The price (to be determined) will include everything listed above. A portion of the set price applicable to perpetual care of the cemetery areas may be tax deductible. Full payment is required at the time of completing the paper work to reserve the niche. For burials not pre-planned, full payment must be received prior to the date of inurnment, ordinarily 10 working days from the date of the loved one’s death. Such payment does not constitute purchase or ownership of land or property or transfer of burial rights.
I’m interested. What do I do?
Complete the form below. We’ll then send you more information. We’re available to answer questions by phone and by personal appointment. You may also contact the Providence Community Cemetery Minister at 812-535-2828.