Thirteen Sisters of Providence celebrate 60 years with SPs
This year 13 Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods celebrate 60 years in the Congregation. In addition to other ministries, all 13 sisters ministered in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis at one time, giving 284 total years of service at the places listed below.
Sister Ann Brendan Burget ministered in Indianapolis at Nativity School (1958-1961); St. Jude School (1961-1965); St. Andrew School (1965-1967); Holy Cross Central School (1974-1987); at St. Patrick School in Terre Haute (1967-1974); and at Woods Day Care/Pre-School, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (1987-2005). Sister currently volunteers in The Gift Shop at Providence Center at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
Sister Teresa (formerly Ellen Maureen) Costello taught in West Terre Haute at Educational Family Services (1995-1996). Sister currently ministers as a citizenship teacher and visitor to the elderly in Weymouth, Mass.
Sister Elaine (formerly Elaine Marie) Doucette served in Indianapolis at St. Agnes School (1959-1962); St. Jude School (1963-1966) and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in residential and health care services (1980-1998). Sister now has a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Sister Mary Catherine (formerly Marie Michele) Duffy, a native of Indianapolis, has spent more than 25 years serving the Hispanic community in Indianapolis and currently ministers at Marian Center in immigration assistance. She was in Provincial Administration (1978-1986) and taught at St. Matthew School (1986-1987).
Sister Donna Marie Fu ministered in Terre Haute at Sacred Heart School (1956-1957) and at St. Ann School (1972). Sister currently is a vocation promoter for Asia.
Sister Jane (formerly Dorothy Jane) Gibson ministered in Indianapolis at Holy Cross School (1972-1974); as housekeeper at the Cathedral (1974-1977) and at Cathedral High School (1979-1980); in outreach ministry (1980-1992); as a home health-care giver (1994-2008) and at St. Rita Parish (2008-2010). Sister devotes time now to a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Sister Carolyn (formerly John Michael) Glynn ministered at St. Anthony School in Indianapolis (1958-1961). Currently sister is a volunteer with Catholic Charities in Bradenton, Fla.
Sister Marilyn Ann Kofler served in Brownsburg at St. Malachy School (1959-1961). Sister currently volunteers in immigration services in Chicago.
Sister Jeanette Marie Lucinio ministered in Sellersburg (1955-1956) and at St. James the Greater School in Indianapolis (1959-1960). She currently ministers as director of the office for women religious in the diocese of San Diego in California.
Sister Ann Paula Pohlman, a native of Indianapolis, taught at St. Catherine School (1968-1974) and served as principal there (1974-1976). Sister currently tutors at St. Joseph School in Bradenton, Fla.
Sister John Mary Rifner taught at St. Anne School, New Castle (1966-1969); at St. Susanna School, Plainfield (1969-1981); St. Simon School, Indianapolis (1981-1985). She ministered at St. Mary-of-the-Woods in the Transportation Department (1985-2011). Sister currently volunteers at the motherhouse.
Sister Martha Ann Rifner ministered at St. Michael School, Greenfield (1966-1968); at St. Margaret Mary School, Terre Haute (1968-1977); and served in the Transportation Department (1987-2001) at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She continues to serve there in residential services.
Sister Helen (formerly Helen Jean) Vinton served at St. Mary School, Richmond (1958-1964) and in Indianapolis at Ladywood High School (1964-1970) and at Ladywood-St.Agnes High School (1970-1975). Sister currently ministers as assistant executive director at Southern Mutual Health Association in New Iberia, La.
About the Sisters of Providence
The Sisters of Providence, a congregation of 214 women religious, with 300 Providence Associates, collaborate with others to create a more just and hope-filled world through prayer, education, service and advocacy. The Sisters of Providence have their motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, located just northwest of downtown Terre Haute, Ind., which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840. Today, Sisters of Providence minister in 13 states, the District of Columbia and Asia, through works of love, mercy and justice. More information about the Sisters of Providence and their ministries can be found at SistersofProvidence.org.