Seven celebrate 70 years as Sisters of Providence
This year seven Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods will celebrate 70 years in the Congregation. In addition to other ministries, all seven sisters ministered in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis at one time, giving 103 total years of service at the places listed below.
Sister Margaret Louise Bernard ministered in Indianapolis at St. Catherine School (1945-46); St. Joan of Arc School (1946-1948); Holy Cross School (1949-1950); St. Philip Neri School (1956-1958); St. Anthony School (1961-1962); and St. Matthew School (1962-1963). Sister also served at St. Paul in Sellersburg (1969-1970). Sister currently resides in Bradenton, Fla.
Sister Adrian Marie Conrad served at St. Mary School, Richmond (1946-1950) and at Sacred Heart School, Terre Haute (1972-1976). In Indianapolis she ministered at Chartrand High School (1968-1970); Ladywood-St. Agnes High School (1971-1972); and Cathedral High School (1976-1978). Sister gives volunteer service as an outreach minister in Los Angeles.
Sister Sheila (formerly Marie Sheila) FitzSimons, a native of Indianapolis, taught at St. Thomas Aquinas School in Indianapolis (1955-1956) and as Adult Education teacher in New Albany at Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries (1999-2002). She served in transportation at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (2002-2010). Sister devotes time now to a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Sister Michaela Galvin ministered at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in residential and health care services for 11 years, 2000 to 2011. Sister now devotes herself to a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Sister Francine McGriffin served in Indianapolis at St. Thomas Aquinas School (1950-1954); at the Aspirancy High School at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (1963-1964); at Ladywood High School and Ladywood-St. Agnes High School (1966-1972); as an LPN at several Indianapolis facilities (1973-1976) and in Adult Education at United Southside Community Organization (1976-1981). When she returned to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1997 she served for 7 years on the residential services staff. Sister now has a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Sister Ann Kevin O’Connor taught at St. Charles School, Bloomington (1954-1955) and at St. Matthew School, Indianapolis (1963-1964). At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods she served on the General Administrative staff (1994-1997) and from 1998 to 2002 in various departments and programs. Currently sister’s ministry is prayer.
Sister Louise (Edward Louise) Schroeder served at St. Joan of Arc School in Indianapolis (1959-1962). Since 1991 she has ministered in various departments at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, including residential and health care services.
About the Sisters of Providence
The Sisters of Providence, a Congregation of nearly 250 women religious, with more than 280 Providence Associates, collaborate with others to create a more just and hope-filled world through prayer, education, service and advocacy. The Sisters of Providence have their motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, located just northwest of downtown Terre Haute, Ind. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840. Today, Sisters of Providence minister in 13 states, the District of Columbia and Asia, through works of love, mercy and justice. More information about the Sisters of Providence and their ministries may be found at SistersofProvidence.org.