Our newest internship opportunity is a focus on fiber arts and alpacas at our unique farm at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, (near Terre Haute) for a 3-6 month internship anytime between October and March.
Your days are divided up between working with our herd of alpacas (they provide the fiber!), in fiber arts, and some in the USDA certified organic garden
Working with the fiber:
Fiber processing: skirting, carding, evaluation, dyeing
Basic fiber arts: knitting, spinning, weaving, crochet, felting
Sales preparation: washing, blocking, finishing, labeling
Sales management and record keeping
Value-added product manufacture and finishing
New fiber processing techniques
New finished product methods
Market research, marketing research
Individualized research, e.g., fiber therapy, integrated art therapy
Major project of some kind:
Maybe a new fiber design; new processing method; or a new record-keeping strategy — you decide or we decide together.
Some bookwork and study in these areas will round out the experience:
• Dyeing techniques
• Historical fiber processing and production methods
• Spiritual work with fiber (e.g., prayer shawls)
• The role of fiber and fiber animals in various cultures
• Working with fiber as therapy
• Fiber evaluation methods
• Understanding the fiber industry: natural and artificial fibers, plant and animal fibers, major exporters/producers, market trends & desirability
• Genetics and breeding for fiber quality
Please inquire by submitting our online internship inquiry form or contact Robyn Morton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-535-2932.