Four celebrate 75, 80 year as Sisters of Providence
This year two Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods will celebrate 75 years in the Congregation and two will mark 80-year anniversaries. In addition to other ministries, all 4 sisters ministered in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis at one time, giving 117 years of service in the places listed below.
Celebrating 75 year anniversaries are:
Sister Rita (formerly Edward Clare) Lerner ministered in Indianapolis at St. Matthew School (1977-1983) and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in residential and health services (1983-2006). Her current ministry is prayer.
Sister Alexa Suelzer taught in Terre Haute at St. Patrick High School (1941-1946) and at St. Agnes Academy in Indianapolis (1946-1950). Sister ministered at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in several capacities: teacher and professor at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (1962-1965 and 1982-2002); at Providence Juniorate High School (1965-1968); as a member of the Sister of Providence General Council (1972-1976); and in residential services (2002-2012). She currently has a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Celebrating 80-year anniversaries are:
Sister Mary Esther (formerly Francis Gertrude) Lane taught at St. Charles School in Bloomington (1940-1941); St. Joseph School, Terre Haute (1952-1957) and St. Paul School, Sellersburg (1957-1958). In Indianapolis sister ministered at St. Anthony School (1945-1946); St. Agnes Academy (1967-1969); Ladywood-St. Agnes High School (1972-1975) and at Fatima Retreat House (1975-1976). Currently she has a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
Sister Marceline Mattingly taught in Indianapolis at St. Anthony School (1938-1940) and St. Philip Neri School (1942-1946). In Richmond, sister ministered at St. Mary School (1940-1941). Sister taught at Our Lady of Providence High School in Clarksville (1968-1970) and also served as pastoral associate at St. Mary Parish in New Albany (1983-1989), followed by ministry to the retirement community at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (1989-1991). She ministered at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College (1966-1968 and 1991-1993 and 1994-2001). Since 2001 she has volunteered in health-care services.
About the Sisters of Providence
The Sisters of Providence, a congregation of 214 women religious, with 300 Providence Associates, collaborate with others to create a more just and hope-filled world through prayer, education, service and advocacy. The Sisters of Providence have their motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, located just northwest of downtown Terre Haute, Ind., which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840. Today, Sisters of Providence minister in 13 states, the District of Columbia and Asia, through works of love, mercy and justice. More information about the Sisters of Providence and their ministries can be found at SistersofProvidence.org.