Blessing, dedication of Georgetown campus Oct. 1
A blessing/dedication celebration will take place Saturday, Oct. 1, at the Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries (PSSM) campus at Georgetown, Ind.
Eucharistic Liturgy will begin 4 p.m. inside a tent on the grounds. Prelude music will begin at 3:50 p.m. The Rev. Joseph Schaedel will preside. Concelebrants will be the Rev. Jerry Burket, the Rev. Don Halpin and the Rev. John Elmore.
Highlight of the celebration will be the blessing of a statue of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin, foundress of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
Sisters of Providence were founders of the complex that provides educational programs and family services to persons in need. Saint Mother Theodore was canonized in 2006 by Pope Benedict XVI as the eighth saint in the United States and the first and only in Indiana. She came to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840 to establish the Congregation and to open to educate children of Indiana pioneers.
Established in New Albany in 1994, PSSM collaborates with local agencies and organizations to provide need-based services; licensed group homes for foster children; family reunification and preservation shelter and case management; apartments for individuals and couples age 62 and older with limited incomes; a senior citizens center; assisted living and skilled nursing care; and a clinic. It is now in its 17th year and has served more than 17,000 individuals and families in Southeastern Indiana and Terre Haute.
“We have never dedicated the entire campus here at Georgetown and we have so much for which we are thankful. We truly believe that Mother Theodore continues her ministry from Heaven in our ministries,” said Sister Barbara Ann Zeller, president and CEO of Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries.
Following the celebration liturgy, guests will have a light meal with entertainment provided by a local band. More than 250 people are expected to attend.
For more information, contact Sister Barbara Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 812-951-1878.
About the Sisters of Providence
The Sisters of Providence, a congregation of 214 women religious, with 300 Providence Associates, collaborate with others to create a more just and hope-filled world through prayer, education, service and advocacy. The Sisters of Providence have their motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, located just northwest of downtown Terre Haute, Ind., which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840. Today, Sisters of Providence minister in 13 states, the District of Columbia and Asia, through works of love, mercy and justice. More information about the Sisters of Providence and their ministries can be found at SistersofProvidence.org.