Centenary of St. Anne Chapel, 1876-1976
In 1976, the 100th anniversary of the St. Anne Chapel — or St. Anne Shell Chapel as it is commonly known — was celebrated. This small chapel is located in Providence Park near the cemetery.
In thanksgiving for a safe journey during an arduous crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in 1843, Mother Theodore Guerin built a log chapel to honor St. Anne, patronness of sailors in her native Brittany, France. By 1875, the structure was deteriorating and a new stone structure decorated on the inside with shells from the nearby Wabash River was constructed. The new chapel was blessed on July 25, 1876.
This tri-fold brochure was used for the celebration of the chapel’s 100th anniversary in 1976.