Foley Hall: A Portrait
Foley Hall — the name conjures up many memories for graduates of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and for countless Sisters of Providence. Foley Hall was known throughout its long history by several names including Saint Mary’s Academic Institute and the Academy.
The cornerstone of this structure was laid Aug. 15, 1860, with the quote, “Wisdom hath built herself a house,” etched onto the stone. Originally a three-winged, gabled-roof structure, Foley Hall (eventually named after Mother Mary Cleophas Foley, general superior from 1890 to 1926) was completed in 1868. A four-story façade of Indiana limestone was completed in 1898 at a cost of $200,000.
Foley Hall was owned by the Sisters of Providence and portions of the building were leased to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The structure was closed in 1988 and razed one year later.
Foley Hall: A Portrait was published by the Communication Arts Department of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in 1989 as a tribute to the building. It was dedicated to Mary Fendrich Hulman, a member of the Saint Mary’s Academy Class of 1923.