Sister Rita Clare Gerardot
Sister Rita Clare was born on September 19, 1926, in Besancon, Indiana, the seventh of 10 children. Besancon, she said, is a “small rural area 12 miles east of Fort Wayne.”
Sister Rita Clare entered the Congregation on July 21, 1944, at the age of 17.
Sister Rita Clare said, “It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I truly felt that God was calling me to be a Sister of Providence.”
She professed first vows in 1947 and final vows in 1952.
Sister Rita Clare said she spent 30 years in teaching and administration at the elementary school level, as well as 12 years in pastoral care (in parishes and Sisters of Providence health care). She also ministered for three years as a receptionist at Mother Theodore Guerin High School. Her current ministry is as a volunteer receptionist at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
Of the students she taught, Sister Rita Clare said, “I still keep in touch with some of my former students and am always delighted when I hear from them or enjoy when they come to the Woods for a visit.”
Sister Rita Clare said her favorite pastime is reading and she enjoys movies and music.
Written by this sister
This sister has written content published on this website. Here is some recent content, or you can view her full author listing here.
Sister Rita Clare is featured in the following content on the Sisters of Providence website:
- Journals and Letters week 50: Mother Theodore and Summit City
- Get to know Providence Associate Cathy Allen
- Sisters of Providence celebrate Senior Jubilees
- Cubs win! Sisters react to Chicago Cubs’ World Series victory
- Twenty-eight Sisters celebrate Jubilees
- Prisoners & Probationers of Conscience
- David Hammer makes his commitment
- Three Sisters of Providence arrested in Georgia for participation in non-violent protest at Army base
Click images to view larger.
Donate in her honor
Has this sister made a difference in your life? Help continue the mission.
Get in touch
Use our form to reconnect with or reach out to a current Sister of Providence.