Sister Patricia Fillenwarth
Formerly Sister Joseph Monica
Sister Patricia was born on September 1, 1940 and died on January 7, 2020.
Sister Patty, formerly Sister Joseph Monica, was a Sister of Providence for 62 years.
Born in Indianapolis, she entered the Congregation in January 1958.
Her first ministry was as a teacher at St. Peter in Linton, Indiana. She also ministered in Washington, D.C., the country of Peru and Illinois.
In 1976, she began ministering in Illinois at Maternity BVM in Chicago as a teacher. She also ministered as the school’s principal.
In 1994, she began a ministry as a counselor at Providence Family Services, also in Chicago, where she stayed until 2018.
She returned to the Woods in 2019.
Here is her complete ministry:
In Indiana: Teacher, St. Peter, Linton (1962-67); Teacher, Holy Family, New Albany (1976); Residential Service/Driver, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (2019).
In Washington, D.C.: Teacher, St. Ann (1967-70).
In Country of Peru: Teacher, Colegio San Jose, Arequipa, Peru (1971-76).
In Illinois: Teacher, Maternity BVM School, Chicago (1976-77); Principal, Maternity BVM School, Chicago (1977-92); Providence Councilor, St. Joseph Province, Chicago (1987-92); Counselor, Maternity BVM Center, Chicago (1993-94); Counselor, Providence Family Services, Chicago (1994-2018); Counselor, Chicago (2018-19).
Written by this sister
This sister has written content published on this website. Here is some recent content, or you can view her full author listing here.
- A celebration of interculturality
- Every day is a gift
- Providence Family Services’ Annual Rummage Sale Breaks Records
- Dealing with the mid-winter blahs
- Sister Patty pens a poem for Providence Family Services
Sister Patricia is featured in the following content on the Sisters of Providence website:
- Newsnotes from summer 2022 HOPE magazine
- A lifetime of meeting needs around the world and in our own backyard: Sister Patty Fillenwarth
- University of Scranton: Week of service 2019
- Newsnotes: winter 2019 updates from the Sisters of Providence
- Sisters of Providence celebrate Senior Jubilees
- A reflection for the 2018 Senior Jubilee Celebration
- Providence Family Services: A look back; hope for the future
- Bittersweet news from Educational/Family Services
- Providence Family Services: support and welcome for the neighbor
- Sister Patty talks love, mercy and justice
- Sister Dorothy Gartland: neighborhood ministry making a difference
- Sisters Lucy and Mary Fran cook up a good time
- Sister Patty Fillenwarth
- A beautiful time
Click images to view larger.
Donate in her honor
Has this sister made a difference in your life? Help continue the mission.
Get in touch
Use our form to reconnect with or reach out to a current Sister of Providence.