Sister Kathleen Desautels
Formerly Sister Mary Colleen
Sister Kathleen, formerly Sister Mary Colleen, is a native of Indianapolis. While she ministered for many years at 8th Day Center for Justice in Chicago, she currently ministers as a justice advocacy volunteer in the Chicago area.
Sister Kathleen entered the Congregation on September 12, 1960. She professed first vows on August 15, 1963, and final vows on August 15, 1968.
She is a graduate of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and also has a degree from LaSalle University in Philadelphia. She completed her post-graduate work at Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis.
Of her ministries, Sister Kathleen has taught grade school at St. Mary’s Village School at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana; St. Joseph School in Jasper, Indiana; and St. Peter’s School in Linton., Indiana. Following her teaching ministry, she became the Director of Religious Education at St. Peter’s Parish in Linton before moving to St. John the Apostle Parish in Bloomington, Indiana. She then ministered at St. Joseph Parish in Jasper before becoming an instructor of theology, campus minister and alumnae director at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College from 1975 to 1985.
Sister Kathleen – also known as Sister “Kak” – also ministered as the prison chaplain at the Indianapolis Youth Center and has been a staff member at 8th Day Center since 1986.
As a justice advocate, Sister Kathleen has traveled to many countries, including Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Iraq and China.
“Learning first hand from the people of these countries who are most affected by U.S. military and economic policies, as well as living in Humboldt Park in Chicago is what has fed my passion as a justice activist over the years,” she said.
Written by this sister
This sister has written content published on this website. Here is some recent content, or you can view her full author listing here.
- A Haunting Desert Experience
- Oscar Lopez Rivera: A Man of Hope
- International Women’s Day
- T-shirt honors legacy of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
Sister Kathleen is featured in the following content on the Sisters of Providence website:
- Celebrating 8th Day Center for Justice
- Providence spirituality in action: Sister Kathleen Desautels and 8th Day Center for Justice
- Quotations from reflections given at General Chapter 2016
- Justice for Las 17
- Sister Kathleen on the pages of Rolling Stone magazine
- Sister Kathleen Desautels: Collaborating for justice
- Rock star for justice
- Sister Kathleen Desautels featured in Chicago Tribune
- Prisoners & Probationers of Conscience
- Sister of Providence released from prison
Click images to view larger.
Donate in her honor
Has this sister made a difference in your life? Help continue the mission.
Get in touch
Use our form to reconnect with or reach out to a current Sister of Providence.