Week 6: Walking through Lent with Saint Mother Theodore
We invite you to continue to walk through Lent with Saint Mother Theodore Guerin and with us with these short daily reflections for the coming week.
Sunday, April 2
“O my people! I will put my spirit in you that you may live, and I will settle you upon your land.” – Ezekiel 37:14
“What will our good God be in our True Country, since even in our exile He is so great, so powerful, so magnificent!” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
• How does God’s promise give me hope even in the challenging times of my life?
Monday, April 3
“Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” – John 8:7
“Ask for me the spirit of understanding and of counsel. I shall need both gifts if the Lord sends me to Vincennes.” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
In Vincennes, Mother Theodore faced the bishop, with whom she was often in conflict. She patiently struggled to gain from him the promises he had made to the Community to secure their mission: the deed to the property where they lived and approval of their Rules of life.
• How do I treat others with compassion even when they have hurt me?
• When have others treated me with respect and compassion even though I have hurt them?
• How do I treat myself with compassion when I make mistakes?
Tuesday, April 4
“But with their patience worn out by the journey, the people complained against God and Moses, ‘Why have you brought us up from Egypt to die in this desert, where there is no food or water? We are disgusted with this wretched food!’” – Numbers 21:4-5
“I cannot think that St. Joseph will let your work fail. We are making a novena for you. Please tell your dear Sisters that they know how interested everybody here at St. Mary’s is in our first establishment. Prayer must make it prosper. I know nothing will be wanting as far as the good will of the Sisters you have is concerned.” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
• When I feel tired and frustrated, how does God’s promise to Jeremiah (29:11) of hope and a future sustain me?
Wednesday, April 5
“Nebuchadnezzar exclaimed, ‘Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who sent his angel to deliver the servants who trusted in him; they disobeyed the royal command and yielded their bodies rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.’” – Daniel 3:28
“Let us take courage, my very dear Sisters; the cross, it is true, awaits us at every turn, but it is the way to heaven.” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
• How am I, like Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, and Mother Theodore, willing to risk all that seems certain in my life in obedience and fidelity to God?
• What is this obedience and fidelity asking of me?
Thursday, April 6
“God also said to Abraham: ‘On your part, you and your descendants after you must keep my covenant throughout the ages.’” – Genesis 17:9
On the death of Sister Mary Liguori Tiercin: “In our having to give [God] the first fruits of our Congregation, who, more than she, merits the honor of being chosen?” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
• What are some examples in my life of God’s faithfulness to the covenant?
• How have I personally embraced the covenant I inherited from Abraham?
Friday, April 7
“Sing to God, praise God, for God has rescued the life of the poor from the power of the wicked!” –Jeremiah 20:13
“On our side we engage ourselves to supply you with two Sisters capable of teaching German and English to the children of your congregation, and to receive gratuitously those belonging to indigent families, when you shall certify that they are unable to pay.” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
• How can I go deeper in following God’s command to care for the poor and vulnerable around me?
Do something to serve the poor in your community: Make a financial contribution to an organization that serves the poor. Volunteer to serve with an organization. Advocate for systems that protect the most vulnerable in our world.
Saturday, April 8
“Never again shall they be two nations, and never again shall they be divided into two kingdoms.” –Ezekiel 37:22
“But again I must talk about money. When will the day come that we shall be able to be occupied only with God? Our consolation is that it is for Him we engage in other things.” – Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
• How do I feed seeds of division, in my heart or in the world around me?
• How can I embrace diversity (in all its forms) in all that I do?