Hand of Providence
“The Hand of Providence” by the Rev. John F. McShane was published in 1949. The frontispiece of this small book states, “A tribute to the Civil War nurses of the Sisters of Providence, St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind., whose five years of patriotic service in the foundation of Indianapolis General Hospital has almost been forgotten.”
This book traces the history of Indianapolis General Hospital, once known as Military Hospital. It highlights the sisters’ service during the Civil War.