The Sisters of Providence convent cemetery is the cemetery for the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
The original location for the sisters’ cemetery was a small hill near Saint Anne Shell Chapel on the motherhouse grounds in Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. The earliest deaths in the community were buried here, including Saint Mother Theodore. It soon became clear that more land would be necessary to accommodate the growing congregation.
On October 13, 1857, Mother Mary Cecilia Bailly, general superior of the Congregation, purchased 30.39 acres just east of the Shell Chapel, but nothing was done to prepare the ground until 1860. That year, a stump puller was hired, cemetery limits were set, and work on the cemetery began.
The first grave in the new cemetery was filled on April 10, 1861, with the burial of Sister Seraphine Jennings. Later, the graves from the earlier cemetery were exhumed and the bodies were moved to the new cemetery, including that of Saint Mother Theodore. A portion of Saint Mother Theodore’s remains still rest in the cemetery, along with several thousand Sisters of Providence and several priests who have served the community.
The main resting place of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin is currently in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, where the Interim Shrine of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin is located.
This text of this article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. It contains text from the Wikipedia article “Sisters of Providence Convent Cemetery,” retrieved July 27, 2010.