Do something to care for Earth
“I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”— Edward Everett
Saving our planet. It sounds like a daunting task that only a superhero from a movie would undertake. Where would you even start and what can one person really do to help? The answer is simple. Do something. Do anything. Yes, it may seem overwhelming but the small changes you make really can add up.
A few modifications
First, commit to a few manageable modifications in your lifestyle. Once they become a habit make even more changes. Don’t forget to share your journey with others and encourage them to join you. Who knows? Maybe you’ll start a movement! Here are a few ways you can begin:
- Wash your laundry in cold water whenever possible and reduce your dryer time as well. Try hanging up clothes to dry.
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn your thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer.
- Stop using straws and other single-use products. Keep travel cups and reusable shopping bags in your car so they are always convenient.
- Cut back on your meat consumption. Go meatless a few days a week or eat less. Choose quality over quantity. Buy meat that is sustainably produced.
- Recycling is great but it is costly and getting more difficult to do. Think beyond recycling. Use what you already have when possible. Avoid single-use products even when they are recyclable.
- Keep your car tuned up. Make sure your tires are filled properly. Plan your travels before you go so you don’t waste gas and you reduce your carbon emissions. Share rides when you can.
For more ways you can help visit ClimateChange.SistersofProvidence.org