The Providence Climate Agreement
We have a current total of 1,699,693 pounds of reduced pledged actions through our Providence Climate Agreement. We are 15 percent away from our initial goal of 2 million pounds of reduced carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions!
With our Providence Climate Agreement, we pledged in July 2018 to 2 million pounds of reduced carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Though we came close, we aim in 2019 and beyond to meet and exceed this goal.
While we came up just short, we are moving ahead! Read more about our continued mission in this blog written by Sister Jeanne Hagelskamp.
So we’re off full speed ahead!
The Providence Climate Agreement was developed by the Climate Change Task Force in order to provide – for the Sisters of Providence, Providence Associates, family and friends, and all others concerned – an action of resistance to climate change that is significant, doable, and at least roughly measurable.
Read the Climate Change Manifesto, which sets out some of the reasons for action. Below, you can find the Providence Climate Agreement (our collective goal), a pledge form enabling individuals or households to commit to specific actions and estimate the results, and resources, to help you with your Providence Climate Agreement pledges.
As in the Paris Climate Agreement of 2016, the goal and the actions are stated as pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2). This “greenhouse gas,” emitted into the atmosphere by the burning of fossil fuels, is a primary cause of global warming.
The Providence Climate Agreement: Mindful of the effects of climate injustice on the cosmos, Earth, and all creatures of Earth, particularly the most vulnerable, we commit to work against climate injustice. We pledge that by June 2019, we will have collectively reduced the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by 2 million pounds (in personal activities and in local or broader communities). We pledge, in addition, to advocate for strong environmental policy.
We can’t reach our goal without you!
Join us in the Providence Climate Agreement by making your own pledge:
- Fill out the Providence Climate Agreement Pledge Form.
- Invite your friends, family members, workplace, school, or congregation to pledge.
- Take the actions you pledged to do.
Learn more or get help:
- Check out the Providence Climate Agreement Frequently Asked Questions.
- Read the Providence Climate Agreement Manifesto for more about why we are making this pledge, and learn more about why it was written.
- Purchase the Low Carbon Diet book for more help making your pledges and taking action.
- Check out the Climate Change Task Force’s Advocacy Handout. The handout was presented during the 2018 Annual Meeting.
- Want to learn more about climate change in a fun way? Use this Eco-Bingo game here.