The Hand of Providence
In 1949, a small booklet written by the Rev. John F. McShane was published. “The Hand of Providence” is a short history of Indianapolis General Hospital. It was at this facility that Indiana Governor Oliver P. Morton requested the assistance of the Sisters of Providence in running during the Civil War. The Sisters of Providence, under the leadership of Sister Athanasius Fogarty, took over the administration and “domestic arrangements” of this hospital, known then as Military Hospital, on May 17, 1861.