The Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, are a congregation of Roman Catholic women religious (sisters) who minister in 17 states, the District of Columbia and Asia. We are all around you – shopping at the grocery store, pumping gas, leading prayer, serving in local parishes and within dioceses, as a chaplain or nurse at your hospital, teaching about anti-racism and against violence – being God’s love in a hurting world.
Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence in 1840.
The Sisters of Providence are an apostolic congregation, meaning we serve among people, wherever the need is greatest. Some sisters teach or serve in school administration. Others work in parishes, diocesan administration, social justice services, counseling and health care. Some work in the administrative offices of the Congregation or for other religious organizations. Many sisters serve in prayer ministry – honoring the many requests for prayer submitted to the Sisters of Providence.
The Congregation has a mission of being God’s Providence in the world by committing to performing works of love, mercy and justice in service among God’s people.
One of the best ways to learn about the Congregation is to explore this site – or come for a visit!
Connect with us as a:
- guest at Sunday Mass at the Woods
- tourist/pilgrim to the interim shrine of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
- participant at one of the many events or programs at the Woods
- Providence Associate
- Providence volunteer
- vowed member of the Congregation
- donor in support of our life and mission
To contact us:
- Online: use our contact form
- By mail: 1 Sisters of Providence Road, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876
- By phone: 812-535-3131