Sister Jeanne Knoerle
Formerly Sister Mary Gregory
Sister Jeanne was born on February 24, 1928 and died on June 10, 2013.
Sister Jeanne, formerly Sister Mary Gregory, was born on Feb. 24, 1928. She died on June 10, 2013. She was 85 years old and had been a Sister of Providence for 63 years.
Sister Jeanne entered the Congregation on July 22, 1949.
Her teaching ministries led her to schools in Illinois, Indiana and Washington, D.C., before returning to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College to join the faculty, where she taught for eight years. She was named president of the college in 1968 and stayed in this ministry until 1983. In 2008, she officially retired, but continued to minister at White Violet Center for Eco-Justice.
She was honored by the City of Cleveland in 1983 as they declared Sister Jeanne Knoerle Day.
Written by this sister
This sister has written content published on this website. Here is some recent content, or you can view her full author listing here.
- The new cosmology: an evolving universe
- The spirituality of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
- Our special practices
- Still rooted in Christ’s love
Sister Jeanne is featured in the following content on the Sisters of Providence website:
- Oral history: Sister Cathy Campbell the storyteller
- Welcome to the ‘Evolving Woods’
- Meaningful new names for the roads of Saint Mary’s
- SMWC dedicates Sister Jeanne Knoerle sculpture
- Warning, this album may contain photos of sunbathing nuns
- Sister Denise Wilkinson’s Gospel reflection on the life of Sister Jeanne Knoerle
- Sister Jeanne Knoerle photo album
- Sister Jeanne Knoerle, former college president and Terre Haute community partner, dies Monday
- Rejoicing in the life of Sister Jeanne Knoerle
- A remarkable woman
Click images to view larger.
Donate in her honor
Has this sister made a difference in your life? Help continue the mission.
Get in touch
Use our form to reconnect with or reach out to a current Sister of Providence.