The appointed General Secretary of the Congregation maintains all official documents of the Congregation and observes the legal requirements for all official papers and transactions. The General Secretary records accurately the proceedings and acts of the General Council and is accountable to the General Superior and the General Council. (Constitutions, Article 82) The General Secretary is appointed by the General Superior with the consent of the General Council of the Congregation. (Complementary Document, Article 26)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares the agenda and records the minutes for the monthly General Council meetings; develops an index twice yearly.
- Serves as secretary of the meetings of the Members of separately incorporated sponsored institutions and sponsored ministries.
- Has custody of the Congregation Seal.
- Maintains the official files and records of the Executive Office and carries out legal responsibilities pertaining to that office.
- Oversees and works with other General Administration Staff in providing communication to the sisters, including sending relays and messages for the general officers via the SP List.
- Coordinates the monthly general mailings, serving as the gatekeeper for what is accepted for inclusion in the mailing.
- Produces the following contents for the monthly general mailing: NewSPaper, Potpourri, Ministry Openings.
- Oversees and works with other General Administration Staff in maintaining the Sisters Only section of the SP web page.
- Works in collaboration with the Office of Records, Providence Printery and Information Technology to produce the publication of the SP Congregation directory.
- Works in conjunction with General Officers and other General Administration staff to support the revision and publication of Congregation documents: Constitutions, Complementary Document, Congregation Manual, General Officers Manual.
- Participates in General Administration team meetings to help coordinate the work of general administration, attends directors meetings and other meetings as appropriate.
- Develops and monitors pertinent General Administration budgets.
Congregation Meetings Coordination
- Coordinates planning of logistics for major Congregation meetings: General Chapter, Area Meetings, Annual Meetings, etc.
- Coordinates materials for GO planning sessions.
- Serves as secretary for the Chapter Planning Committee.
- Convenes the Chapter Election Procedural Committee and serves as secretary; serves as Secretary of the Chapter of Elections until the Chapter elects its own secretary.
- Maintains records and keeps membership current for the Conciliation Committee.
The General Secretary supervises any general administration volunteers unless they work directly under a staff person.
- Minimum of three years as a paralegal or administrative assistant with responsibility for Board minutes. Candidates with five or more years of experience are preferred.
- An Associate’s Degree or higher is preferred.
The General Secretary must have a command of the English language and the ability to write, since so many of the duties are required to create and edit documents. The duty of taking minutes requires special skill in synthesizing notes into coherent reports. Basic computer skills are also required—in Microsoft Word, and Excel. Rudimentary knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint is helpful or a willingness to be trained. Basic office skills such as preparing and monitoring budgets, and filing, are necessary.
To apply for this position
You may apply via online application or send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If mailing your application, send to Sisters of Providence, Attn: HR Department, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876. You may be asked to complete additional application materials if you are called for an interview. All persons hired for positions with the Sisters of Providence are asked to complete an application.