Immaculata High School time capsule from 1955 to be opened Saturday
The discovery of a time capsule will draw alumnae from Immaculata High School, Washington, D.C., at 2 p.m., on Saturday, Oct. 11.
The Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, will host alumnae from the school to open the capsule at the Yuma Study Center, 4101 Yuma St. NW, Washington, D.C.
The capsule was discovered last year during the demolition of three buildings on the former Immaculata campus, which was purchased by American University (AU) from the Sisters of Providence in 1986. The university had removed Regina, Marian and Loretta halls during the construction process for the new American University Washington College of Law Tenley Campus. AU had renamed those buildings Constitution Building, Federal Hall and Congressional Hall.
The original 1905 Immaculata building – formerly Immaculata Seminary and now Capital Hall – and Dunblane House and the campus are protected landmarks and will not be demolished.
During the course of the demolition, officials with American University discovered the capsules in two cornerstones from Regina and Marian halls, dated back to 1955.
The Sisters of Providence were present at Immaculata from 1905 until 1986. The campus included an elementary school, high school and junior college. There are at least 3,500 living alumnae from these schools.
There is no cost to attend the cornerstone reception.
Sisters of Providence Vicar Sister Lisa Stallings will welcome those in attendance and also offer a blessing prior to the opening of the time capsule.
In addition, Tenleytown Historical Society Advisory board member and Immaculata Preparatory 1969 graduate Susan Jacquet, and Sister Marian Brady – who served as Immaculata College President from 1967-81 – will speak, along with a host of others.
The opening of the capsule coincides with the Immaculata All-Schools Reunion, which will begin at noon on Sunday, Oct. 12, at the Kenwood Golf and Country Club, Bethesda, Maryland.
For more information, log on to ImmaculataDC.org.
About the Sisters of Providence
The Sisters of Providence, a congregation of 214 women religious, with 300 Providence Associates, collaborate with others to create a more just and hope-filled world through prayer, education, service and advocacy. The Sisters of Providence have their motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, located just northwest of downtown Terre Haute, Ind., which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin founded the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in 1840. Today, Sisters of Providence minister in 13 states, the District of Columbia and Asia, through works of love, mercy and justice. More information about the Sisters of Providence and their ministries can be found at SistersofProvidence.org.