A plaque on a rock near the ravine marks the spot where Saint Mother Theodore Guerin and her traveling companions first stepped down on the sacred ground of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind. The marker reads: “This tablet marks the place where Mother Theodore and her five companions — Sr. St. Vincent Ferrer, Sr. Basilide, Sr. St. Liguori, Sr. Marie Xavier and Sr. Olympiade first stepped upon the soil of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, October 22, 1840.”

After surviving an arduous, four-month voyage from France, Mother Theodore and her five traveling companions finally reached Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind. This was announced by Father Buteux saying, “Come down, Sisters, we have arrived.” Thus, the six French nuns alighted from their horse-drawn carriage to begin a Providential journey.