“This particular religious Congregation is called into being by God to participate as a community in extending the providential designs of God to all creation.”
— Constitutions of the Sisters of Providence
Climate Change Action Alerts/Resource
- Stand with women to protect the rain forest, climate and human rights
- Good News: Europe’s second largest bank divestment
- Mother Earth is Broiling. NASA shows us why
- New York Magazine – The Uninhabitable Earth
- Food Water Watch
— Climate Change And Environment
- Catholic Climate Covenant
— Webinar: Just Transition: Shrinking our Carbon Footprint while Leaving No One Behind
- World Wildlife Fund
— Exponential Power: Corporate Leaders catalyze the transition to renewable energy
- Natural Resources Defense Council
— Cut Environmental Justice at the EPA, and We All Lose
–— How Climate Change Impacts Women
- Healing Earth: International Jesuit Ecology, an excellent online textbook
- Conserve Energy Future – Renewable and Non-Renewable Energy Sources
- Ecology and Jesuits – More general eco-justice educational resources
— Guidance map for Pope Francis’ encyclical, Laudato Si
— The Community and ascetical dimensions of community
- The Nature Conservancy (United States)
— Climate Change – The Paris Agreement
- The New York Times: How Americans think about Climate Change, in six Maps
- Skoll: Record Number of Land and Water Rights Defenders Killed in 2016
- Environmental Justice/Environmental Racism
- How City Mayors Make A Difference:
— Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate Change and Energy
— Sustain Louisville
— Climate Reality Project
—Pittsburgh Mayor: “Your Future Does Not Have To Be Your Past.”
Racial Justice Action Alerts/Resources
- Southern Poverty Law Center
— Ten Ways to Fight Hate
- 8th Day Center for Justice: Statement on White Supremacy
- Environmental Justice/Environmental Racism
Immigration Action Alerts/Resources
- Justice for Immigrants. This website offers factual information, as well as a variety of practical resources to help promote immigration reform.
- Justice for Immigrants – Maintain DACA
- The Interfaith Immigration Coalition. A partnership of faith-based organizations committed to enacting fair and human immigration reform that reflects our mandate to welcome the stranger and treat all human beings with dignity and respect.
— State by State action alerts
- Sisters and Brothers of Immigrants: Standing with Immigrants, an organization based in Chicago and founded by Catholic Sisters, including Sister Marilyn Kofler, SP,
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network. An organization that embraces the Gospel value of welcoming the stranger, promotes the dignity and protects the rights of immigrants in partnership with a dedicated network of Catholic and community legal immigration programs.
— Webinar June 14, 2017, regarding immigration employment discrimination
- Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns: Bishop Seitz’s pastoral letter on immigration
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network
— Know Your Rights: A Collection of Resources (You have to create an account, but there is no charge)
- Southern Poverty Law Center. SPLC monitors hate groups and other extremists throughout the U.S. and exposes their activities to law enforcement agencies, the media and the public. In this link, SPLC demands better access for legal representation for immigrant detainees.
Human Trafficking Action Alerts/Resources
- The Center for Civil and Human Rights, University of Notre Dame.
— Workshop on human trafficking,
— Graphics accompanying Angela Reed’s presentation
- Project IRENE Herstory. Illinois Religious Engaging in Nonviolent Endeavors.
— July 30, Day of World Prayer Against Trafficking in Persons.
- Stop Human Trafficking, The Illinois Women Religious Against Human Trafficking, an organization that Sister Rosemary Ward, Sister Barbara Sheehan, and Providence Associate Gerri Baum are all involved in.
- Sex Trafficking in Illinois and the United States – a fact sheet and hotline number (see below graphic)
- The Indian women who took on a Multinational and won
Judicial System Action Alerts/Resources
- Catholic Mobilizing Network
— National Catholic Pledge to end the Death Penalty
- National Religious Campaign Against Torture
— Current Legislative Alerts
— Videos/study resources
- The 90 Million Strong Campaign Pledge
- The Louisiana Conference of Catholic Bishops statement to repeal the death penalty in Louisiana
- The two-tiered justice system: Money bail in historical perspective