Linden Leaf Gifts is the retail operation of the Providence Spirituality and Conference Center while the Farm Store is the retail operation of the White Violet Center. The Retail Manager has strategic responsibility as well as day-to-day operational responsibility for both Linden Leaf Gifts and the Farm Store. The position has ultimate responsibility for revenue generation and profitability (both in-store and online), merchandise selection, pricing and staffing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates annual business plan based on strategic priorities.
- Selects store merchandise, sets and monitors inventory turns by SKU.
- Sets pricing policy and gross margin targets. Monitors performance against targets. Adjusts pricing and/or eliminates SKUs as needed.
- Oversees the online store by ensuring products are published in a timely manner, web orders are processed and shipped correctly, and sales reports are generated which provide an accurate representation of the online store’s value.
- Hires, trains, and supervises staff and volunteers. Conducts annual performance reviews.
- Plans and coordinates all marketing activities with the Director of Marketing.
- Generates reports providing historical data, analysis, revenue, expenses, inventory, and buying trends in order to create the annual budget and monitor actual results against it.
- Prepares weekly sales reports.
- Ensures the security of appropriate amounts of cash for daily sales and reconciles daily receipts and deposits.
- Manages relationship with merchant services providers.
- Sees to the ongoing maintenance of the store, including, cleaning, upkeep, and supplies.
- Establishes long-term relationships with vendors to ensure the greatest benefit to both vendors and LLG/Farm Store.
- Fosters relationships with the local business community, fair trade and other national vendors, SP artisans, and crafters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All paid staff
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business, retailing, management or related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years of related retail management experience, including prior operational experience with point-of-sale technology.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet, word processing, and database software.
- Ability to develop business plans, and generate sales reports.
- Ability to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, and unexpected requests and events. Excellent organizational abilities, with the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- The ability to create attractive, tasteful displays and to arrange merchandise for maximum effect.
- Ability to work flexible hours (some weekends and holidays) as retail hours require.
- Ability to respond promptly to guest and client needs and to handle customer orders and, when necessary, complaints positively.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a variety of people – staff, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to follow through, carry out responsibilities, and meet established deadlines.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Lift up to 50 pounds.
- Reach with the arms, bend, stoop, kneel, walk up and down stairs, and walk for at least 800 yards.
- Ability to move and operate in narrow aisles and confined areas is essential, as is the ability to climb and work on a three-step ladder.
- Close vision and depth perception are also required. This is necessary for handling the movement of furniture/fixtures and/or the stocking of shelves, and the movement of merchandise to and from various storerooms.
- Hearing sufficient to understand customers’ questions and requests and communication skills to respond to them is also required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is moderate noise in all aspects of this job.
In support of the Land Ethic, all persons employed with the Sisters of Providence will reduce, reuse, recycle, and conserve energy.
To apply for this position
You may apply via online application or send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If mailing your application, send to Sisters of Providence, Attn: HR Department, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876. You may be asked to complete additional application materials if you are called for an interview. All persons hired for positions with the Sisters of Providence are asked to complete an application.