The Coordinator of Liturgy and Music prepares and coordinates the liturgical celebrations and music for the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary of the Woods, and coordinates all related liturgical ministries. The Coordinator works closely with the Administrative Assistant of Liturgy and Music, the Sisters of Providence chaplain, and the liturgy committee for liturgical preparations and concerns. The Coordinator of Liturgy reports to a General Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Chairs the monthly liturgy committee meetings.
- Prepares and manages the liturgy department budget.
- Meets weekly with the Administrative Assistant.
- Has regular communication with the chaplain.
- Meets monthly with General Officer liaison.
- Prepares annual evaluation of the Administrative Assistant of Liturgy.
- Coordinates planning and staffing of all motherhouse worship.
- Coordinates planning for congregation celebrations (jubilees, professions, annual meetings, chapters, etc.)
- Prepares the music for all liturgical seasons and celebrations at the motherhouse of the Sisters of Providence.
- Researches and incorporates music to meet the needs of various people and events.
- Develops repertoire of the assembly.
- Coordinates recruitment, assessment, training, scheduling, continuing education and catechesis for all liturgical ministers.
- Works collaboratively with musicians from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and other individuals and/or groups participating in liturgical events in the Church of the Immaculate Conception.
- Coordinates and administers policies for scheduling of events in the Church of the Immaculate Conception.
- Attends to the specific needs of the retired Sisters of Providence motherhouse community with regard to liturgy.
- Maintains personal musicianship through regular rehearsal and coaching.
- Is present with the community for weekday Eucharist and Feast Days.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervises volunteers for the printing of daily, weekly, seasonal and sacramental liturgical programs.
- Supervises the Assistant in organizational needs of the liturgy department.
- Experience with music/liturgical preparations and catechesis for Roman Catholic liturgies; music for religious communities helpful.
- Proficient in organ, piano, choral or vocal music.
- Good written and oral communication.
- Able to give directions in a direct and respectful manner.
- As it relates to the liturgy department budget.
- Able to work on computer and other equipment in the office, as needed.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible in scheduling and completing tasks.
- Able to solve problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA or MA in music or liturgy desired; parish or diocesan experience preferred.
- Experience with religious communities helpful, as well as with an aging population, some of whom have physical and cognitive challenges.
- Experience in training cantors and small choral ensembles.
- Experience with liturgical music and preparations/planning for the assembly.
The Sisters of Providence (Sisters) are committed to the fair and equal employment of individuals with disabilities. It is the Sister’s policy to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the congregation. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended, reasonable accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to enable them to perform the essential functions of their jobs or to enjoy the equal benefits and privileges of employment. This policy applies to all applicants for employment and all employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Lifting and reaching, with assistance provided if scheduled in advance.
- Physical ability and mobility to climb stairs, and walk distances.
Work with the Administrative Assistant for Liturgy in separate offices, with office furniture and equipment needed to perform one’s job. Work space includes the Church of the Immaculate Conception, sacristy and storage areas.
Flexible hours including weekends as well as longer days for special liturgical celebrations (holy days, feasts, special Sister of Providence celebrations, funerals)
Some holiday work necessary.
In support of the Land Ethic, all persons employed with the Sisters of Providence will reduce, reuse, recycle, and conserve energy.
To apply for this position
You may apply via online application or send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If mailing your application, send to Sisters of Providence, Attn: HR Department, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876. You may be asked to complete additional application materials if you are called for an interview. All persons hired for positions with the Sisters of Providence are asked to complete an application.