Sisters of Providence
Job Title: Lead Cook/Supervisor
Department: Food Services
Reports to: Food Service Manager
The dietary services head cook is responsible for providing nourishing food to residents, guests and employees under sanitary conditions as directed and in accordance with established policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Though the essential duties and responsibilities identify the major requirements of the job, they are not exhaustive of all job requirements. An employee may be called upon to perform duties not specifically identified in this job description.
- Assists Production Manager with inventory requirements and takes responsibility in planning for food requirements for the menus. Reports supply shortages/low stock levels.
- Practice cost-cutting measures, which include but are not limited to proper portion control; following recipes accurately, proper leftover usage, rotating and storage of items, and monitor waste from after each meal service.
- Follows and monitors portion control at meal times to be able to provide established serving portions for health care. Monitors all areas for food replacement during serving times. Monitors correct serving utensils each meal and for special functions.
- Operates all equipment according to manufacturer’s recommendations and keeps all equipment in safe and sanitary condition, and reports any equipment malfunctions to manager on a timely basis.
- Labels and dates food products in storage. Reports spoiled or unattractive food to management. Follows storage guidelines for safe and sanitary storage. Rotates stock and food supplies for freshness.
- Assist in the training of new employees.
- Supervises tray line and dining room staff at meal times, sanitation in production areas and tray line areas.
- Prepares regular and therapeutic diets following instructions, menu’s recipes, spreadsheets etc., with knowledge of kitchen equipment operation.
- Keeps food waste to a minimum.
- Prepares foods for special parties and groups, and assists in the planning of these events in a cooperative manner.
- Supervises and assists with the daily cleaning of all kitchen equipment, and the washing and sterilizing of all dishes, silverware, and utensils.
- Supervises kitchen staff in a fair and professional manner.
- Assumes all responsibility in the absence of dietary supervisor.
- Attend in-service educational programs.
- Follow defined safety codes while performing all duties.
- Understand facility’s fire and disaster plans; follow established procedures during drills and actual emergencies.
- Guide and direct shift staff in following sanitation procedures, serving measurements and correct equipment operation.
- Directs staff in meeting time frames of all meal services in all areas.
- Directs staff in completing all tasks for the shift and reports issues and resolutions to the Production Manager.
- Ability to read, understands, and follows recipe directions, diet orders and work assignments. Able and willing to work flexible hours, such as during an emergency situation. Must be patient and tolerant toward staff, residents, and family members.
- High school graduate or equivalent education is preferred. Preference is given to persons with education in quantity cooking and therapeutic diets. Minimum one (1) year food service experience in a health care dietary setting is desired. Have general knowledge of quantity food preparation and portioned serving. Verbal and writing abilities necessary to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents, family members and the public.
- Must be able to anticipate daily work flow and rearrange schedule to meet the demands of the department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Individual must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Minimum of three years’ experience in quantity food service in a Cook position.
- Must be certified in the Federal/ State Sanitation codes for Food Services.
The Sisters of Providence (Sisters) are committed to the fair and equal employment of individuals with disabilities. It is the Sister’s policy to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the congregation. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended, reasonable accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to enable them to perform the essential functions of their jobs or to enjoy the equal benefits and privileges of employment. This policy applies to all applicants for employment and all employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Individual must be able to endure at least eight hours of continuous work requiring, but not limited to, standing, walking climbing, stooping, bending, stretching, pulling and lifting up to 30 pounds.
- Individual could be exposed to communicable diseases.
- May be exposed to potentially hazardous situations due to use of high temperature-producing equipment, caution must be employed at all times.
- Muscle fatigue and backache may result after prolonged and repetitive work.
A kitchen environment may include wet/slippery floors, sudden temperature changes, high humidity, frequent exposure to hot/cold (clear and soapy) water, equipment and machine noises, the possibility to incur cuts and burns, and exposure to toxic substances (cleaning chemicals).
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The staff member may be required to perform other work related tasks as assigned or requested by the supervisor or management. The job description is simply a communication tool and is subject to change as the needs prevail. This document is not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment.
In support of the Land Ethic, all persons employed with the Sisters of Providence will reduce, reuse, recycle, and conserve energy.
To apply for this position
You may apply via online application or send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If mailing your application, send to Sisters of Providence, Attn: HR Department, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876. You may be asked to complete additional application materials if you are called for an interview. All persons hired for positions with the Sisters of Providence are asked to complete an application.