Sisters of Providence
Job Title: Grounds Technician
Department: Facilities Management
Reports to: Grounds Manager
The Grounds Technician works under the supervision and direction of the Manager of Grounds Services in the maintenance of the grounds of the Sisters of Providence. Grounds Technicians also provide general labor for a wide variety of department projects on campus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs general grounds maintenance duties, such as mowing and trimming lawns edging and weeding of landscaped areas, and leaf removal, using tools and equipment, such as mowers, weed-eaters, leaf-vacuums, etc.
- Performs tree maintenance, such as planting, pruning, trimming or removal, cutting and splitting wood using equipment such as, clippers, trimmers, chainsaws, stump-grinder, etc.
- Performs roadway maintenance work, such as snow removal, street and walk cleaning, crack and pot-hole filling, using equipment such as snow plows, street cleaners, etc.
- Performs funeral and cemetery services including driving a hearse (meeting the body and transporting to cemetery), preparing and closing grave sites, using equipment such as tractors, back-hoes, and loaders.
- Performs trash removal and recycling services, including dumpster pick-up and recycling collection and sorting, using equipment such as forklifts, balers and trash compactors.
- Performs labor for set-up and tear-down for events, meetings and other requests for moving services.
- Performs other related functions within the scope of responsibility of the position as determined by the Manager.
- The ability to understand and follow oral directions.
- The ability to operate many types of equipment used in job duties.
- The ability to organize daily work and work effectively as a member of a work group.
- The ability to recognize safety hazards and precautions to be observed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· High school diploma or GED required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid driver’s license is required
The Sisters of Providence (Sisters) are committed to the fair and equal employment of individuals with disabilities. It is the Sister’s policy to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the congregation. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended, reasonable accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to enable them to perform essential functions of their jobs or to enjoy the equal benefits and privileges of employment. This policy applies to all applicants for employment and all employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Must be able to bend, reach, stoop or kneel frequently.
- Must have normal eyesight with correction.
- Must talk, hear, and walk to perform duties of this job.
- Must have full range of eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate tools and powered equipment.
- May be necessary to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Individual may be exposed to hazardous wastes and communicable diseases.
- May be exposed to dust, dirt, and water.
- Some work may be performed on equipment outside in any type of weather.
- Occasional work may be required on early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- May be exposed to loud machinery noises.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Log splitters, grinder, chain saws, tractor, backhoe, fork lift, dump truck, mower, street sweeper, snow removal equipment, etc.
To apply for this position
You may apply via online application or send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If mailing your application, send to Sisters of Providence, Attn: HR Department, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876. You may be asked to complete additional application materials if you are called for an interview. All persons hired for positions with the Sisters of Providence are asked to complete an application.