Sisters of Providence Job Description
Job Title: Chaplain
Department: General Administration
The SP Chaplain provides services in support of the pastoral/spiritual needs of the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the Woods, which is the motherhouse for approximately 270 vowed members and 265 associates of the community. Approximately 140 sisters live and minister at the Woods, as well as 106 residents of Providence Health Care (PHC), a skilled and assisted living care facility that is sponsored by the Sisters of Providence and located on the campus at Saint Mary-of-the Woods. PHC serves both sisters and the public. The chaplain provides sacramental and liturgical ministry as well as emotional and spiritual support to sisters, residents, families, and co-workers of all faith traditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Presides at weekly liturgies (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) and Sundays, Holy Days and significant feast days of the Congregation, all funerals (unless a family member presides), all jubilees and vows, as well as communal anointing and reconciliation.
- Preaches at all liturgies except for special occasions of the Congregation (jubilee, vows, MTG feast day and foundation day, Providence Associate commitment).
- Offers reconciliation at the request of non-SP’s especially visitors who may be part of the ministry of the Congregation (programs, pilgrimages)
- Receives and honors mass requests from both community and non-community members.
- Available for emergency sacramental needs.
- Provides spiritual encouragement and consolation through regular visits with all residents in Providence Health Care (Mother Theodore Hall and Lourdes Hall).
- Visits sisters in the hospital when informed.
- Responds to pastoral and sacramental needs at the time of death (day and night).
- Accepts appointments from those outside the congregation (including staff members) for personal spiritual needs.
- Serves as a designated spiritual director as part of the ministry of Providence Spirituality and Conference Center.
- Participates in monthly Liturgy Committee meetings.
- Works with coordinator of Liturgy to establish schedules and carry out appropriate policies and procedures.
- Publishes weekly Mass intentions.
The viable candidate must be a Catholic priest in good standing with current theological education required as appropriate for a Catholic priest (typically, master’s level form an accredited university or seminary). Endorsement by the Ordinary of the Diocese or Religious Superior is necessary. Prior experience in parish or hospital ministry is helpful.
- Lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to walk 1000 yards and stand for extended periods
- Moderate noise in all aspects of the job
- Adequate office workspace and privacy are provided
In support of the Land Ethic, all persons employed with the Sisters of Providence will reduce, reuse, recycle, and conserve energy.
To apply for this position
You may apply via online application or send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If mailing your application, send to Sisters of Providence, Attn: HR Department, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876. You may be asked to complete additional application materials if you are called for an interview. All persons hired for positions with the Sisters of Providence are asked to complete an application.