Following the canonical year, the woman continues her novitiate with an additional year period of novitiate known as the mission novice year.
During the mission novice year, the woman is given further opportunity for the integration of personal and spiritual development with apostolic service. The novice remains in close contact with her director and participates responsibly and fully in a local community.
The mission novitiate experience includes:
- living in community with other Sisters of Providence while engaging in a specific ministerial position that reflects the mission and charism of the Sisters of Providence.
- living the life of a Sister of Providence – joining in communal prayer and the responsibilities of membership, including participating in Congregation activities and taking part in a Local Government Unit (LGU).
- building on the foundations laid in the postulant and canonical novice years, focusing on reading, reflection and discussions on religious life and vows.
- participating in spiritual enrichment opportunities including personal and communal prayer, monthly spiritual direction, periodic solitude days, theological reflection, liturgies of the Church and an annual retreat.
- participating in community building activities such as communal prayer, household tasks, meetings, and community events and celebrations.
- continuing conferences with the novice director to explore and assist with the integration process into the local community, the Congregation, prayer life, ministry experiences, workshops, self-understanding and day-to-day living as a Sister of Providence.
For more information, email Sister Editha Ben, vocation director, firstname.lastname@example.org; or call 1-800-860-1840, ext. 2895; or write the Sisters of Providence Vocation Office, 1 Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN 47876-1089.