In September 1899, Sisters of Providence took charge when the Holy Cross Brothers withdrew and Father Dunne invited the Sisters of Providence to take charge of the boys’ school. In 1907, the sisters also took charge of the girls’ school due to the withdrawal of the Sisters of Charity. Boys and girls were in separate rooms. The grammar school for the girls developed into a full eight grades and a commercial high school. Due to lack of available sisters, the grammar school closed in 1971. The commercial school closed in 1969. The nursery school opened in 1918 to childcare needed for mothers working outside the home during the war. In 1983, the Sisters of Providence closed the nursery, which was subsequently used by Esperanza School for special education.

For reunion information

St. Columbkille Alumnae will celebrate their reunion Sunday, April 19, 2015, at Elmcrest Banquets, 7370 W. Grand Ave., Elmwood Park, IL 60707. Cocktails begin at noon; lunch is at 1 p.m. For reunion information, contact Sister Joan Zlogar at or at 812-535-3131. Also, see the newsletter for more reunion details.


2013 Newsletter

2012 Newsletter