Two other congregations taught in Vincennes before the Sisters of Providence: Â Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky, from 1824 to 1834, and then Sisters of Charity from Emmitsburg, Maryland, until 1843.
Then, when Mother Theodore was in France, Bishop de la Hailandiere sent three Sisters of Providence to Vincennes. They were at first located in a house on Main Street between Fourth and Fifth â€“ the Bishop’s Block. In 1847 Bishop Bazin relocated them to the former seminary on Second Street. This building also housed resident students, and from 1849 to 1863, orphan girls.
When the orphan boys were moved to the Old College (St. Vincent’s), the girls took their place. This left St. Rose as boarding school and academy, and as before, the Sisters’ residence. In 1884, when with the consent of Bishop Chatard the city was to cut a street in the path of St. Rose, the school building was razed and a new St. Rose Academy built. The third and last building was dedicated in 1964. In 1970 St. Rose Academy joined with Central Catholic High School for boys as Rivet High School.
The St. Rose Reunion will be Sept. 22, 2012, at the Green Activities Center at Vincennes University. Visit the reunion page for more information. A reception will be held at the Rivet Annex on Sept. 21 to honor the Central Catholic/St. Rose graduates of 1961 and 1962. Visit the reception page for more information.
Contact Mary Ann Thacker at (812)882-6611 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about all St. Rose alumnae events.
Keep in touch
The Central Catholic-St. Rose Academy Alumnae have an active group on Facebook. You must send a request to join. Click here to get started!