The Sisters of Providence purchased the school and property – about 10 acres – from the Sisters of the Visitation June 26, 1915. They planned to keep the name “Visitation Academy,” but the name “Marywood” was chosen, reflecting its connection with Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. The building and grounds were improved. Eight Sisters came Aug. 17 to prepare for the opening of school. About 40 students arrived Sept. 8. By the end of the year the enrollment increased to 70. At first, elementary grades and a commercial course were included. Resident students were accepted until the end of the 1966-67 school year. In September 1945, it was decided to discontinue kindergarten and first grade because of low enrollment. Discrepancies in the diary make it difficult to determine when some grades closed, but by June 1947 all grade school classes had been discontinued.
An addition, begun in 1924, opened September 1925. The school flourished for many years. In January 1970, financial problems and decrease in enrollment and religious personnel made it necessary to close Marywood. The last class graduated June 1970. Some local organizations wished to purchase the property for low cost housing, but inability to get permission for rezoning prevented it. Eventually, the property was sold in 1975 to the City of Evanston.
Sue Brander is the coordinator for the Marywood Alumnae Association. She can be reached at:
Mail: 7259 W. Palatine Ave., Chicago, IL 60631
The 2014 Marywood Reunion will be Oct. 4. See the reunion page for more information.
A Memorial Liturgy for graduates of all schools in the Chicago area will be Nov. 4 at Guerin Prep, River Grove, Ill. See the Chicago-area schools Memorial Liturgy page for details.
Download the August 2013 Marywood newsletter.