We, the leaders of religious congregations in Indiana, including the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, believe in the sacredness and dignity of all life.
We believe we are to love neighbor, not to kill.
We believe we are to forgive one another, not to seek retribution with vengeance and further violence.
Therefore, we oppose the use of capital punishment in all cases.
We ask you to join us as we pray and work for the end of capital punishment in all cases.
Please join us as we pray for Death Row inmates and their families.
Join us, too, as we pray for all victims of violence and their families.
Adapted from a public statement against the death penalty by the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, Region VII.
Spokespersons about the Sisters of Providence stance against the death penalty are available to the media. Please contact Dave Cox, media relations manager, at 812-535-2810 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LCWR Region VII Congregations
The following Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) Region VII congregations support the LCWR Region VII statement against the death penalty:
- Carmelite Monastery of Indianapolis
- Daughters of Charity, Evansville
- Our Lady of Victory Missionary Sisters, Huntington
- Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ, Donaldson
- Sisters of the Holy Cross of Notre Dame
- Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods
- Sisters of St. Benedict, Beech Grove
- Sisters of St. Benedict, Ferdinand
- Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg
- Sisters of St. Joseph, Tipton